- 1 What kind of apples do you use for apple pie?
- 2 Should you cook apples before making apple pie?
- 3 Can you use any apples for apple pie?
- 4 How many apples is 2 lbs?
- 5 How many apple slices are in a cup?
- 6 How do you prepare apples for pie?
- 7 What apples should not be used for apple pie?
- 8 Why did my apple pie turn out mushy?
- 9 How many cups is 3 medium apples?
- 10 Can you use normal apples for baking?
- 11 How do you cut apples for apple pie?
- 12 How many pounds is 3 apples?
- 13 How many apples do I need for 8 cups?
- 14 How many cups is 2 medium apples?
- 15 How many apple slices are in a serving?
- 16 Can I cut apples ahead of time for pie?
- 17 How do you thicken apple pie filling?
- 18 How do you fix a runny pie after baking?
- 19 Why are Red Delicious apples so bad?
- 20 What is the best apple for making pies?
What kind of apples do you use for apple pie?
- Granny Smith — Your standard, never-fails baking apple.
- Honeycrisp — Extra crisp and always holds firm after baking.
- Jonagold — Tart with a bit of sweetness.
- Braeburn — Crisp, sweet apples that hold up well in pie and other baked desserts.
Should you cook apples before making apple pie?
Don’t cook them. Just keep them in cold water to keep them from browning until it’s time to assemble the pie. Coat the raw apples with sugar and flour and pour them into the crust.
Can you use any apples for apple pie?
Easy Apple Pie Recipe (Using Fresh Apples) Your go-to Apple Pie Recipe using fresh apples in a homemade crust with very little added sugar. … You can use any fresh apples you have and any crust you like.
How many apples is 2 lbs?
If the recipe calls for 6 cups of sliced apples, you’ll likely need about 8 medium-sized apples, or about 2 pounds of medium-sized apples.
How many apple slices are in a cup?
About 3/4 of an average sliced or cubed apple equates to a single cup. However, it really depends on the size of your apple and how you’ll be cutting it. In a perfect world, you’ll start with a medium apple.
How do you prepare apples for pie?
Throw raw apples right in the pie crust Some experts will tell you to par-cook apples before filling a pie by pouring boiling water over cut apples and soaking them for 10 minutes. Others say to roast them to reduce water content. Still others say to let cut apples sit for 30-40 minutes to drain natural juices.
What apples should not be used for apple pie?
Red Delicious and Gala are two apples that won’t withstand cooking temperatures and should not be used for apple pie. Many new apple varieties, including Honeycrisp, have a flesh that fractures when you bite it. This is so appealing for snacking on an apple, but not the best feature for a good apple pie apple.
Why did my apple pie turn out mushy?
Pectin is the biological glue that holds together plant cells, giving fruits and vegetables their shape and structure. When apples are cooked, this pectin breaks down, and the apples turn mushy.
How many cups is 3 medium apples?
Just remember: 2 to 2 1/2 cups chopped or sliced apples are equivalent to 3 medium apples, or about 1 pound.
Can you use normal apples for baking?
Granny Smith apples work well for baking. Other cooking apples are considered better for cooked-down recipes, such as applesauce, where the apple does not need to retain its shape. … Red Delicious apples are sweet and popular for eating.
How do you cut apples for apple pie?
How many pounds is 3 apples?
If the size of the apples are a factor for you, you have a starting point of three medium-sized apples equating to one pound to build off of.
How many apples do I need for 8 cups?
A pound of apples will yield 3 cups; so for 8 cups prepared apples, you’ll need about 2 2/3 pounds whole apples (make it 2 3/4 pounds, if you’re at the supermarket weighing).
How many cups is 2 medium apples?
1 large apple = 2 cups sliced or chopped = 1 1/2 cups finely chopped =1 1/4 cups grated = 3/4 cup sauce. 1 medium apple = 1 1/3 cups sliced or chopped = 1 cup finely chopped = 3/4 cup grated = 1/2 cup sauce. 1 small apple = 3/4 cup sliced or chopped = 3/4 cup finely chopped = 1/2 cup grated = 1/3 cup sauce.
How many apple slices are in a serving?
One small apple (a little under three inches in diameter) counts as a serving of fruit. Apples contain: Fiber (about three grams) Potassium.
Can I cut apples ahead of time for pie?
THE BOTTOM LINE: If you’re going to cook apples, it’s fine to prep them a day or two in advance.
How do you thicken apple pie filling?
The best way to thicken runny apple pie filling before baking it is to add some cornstarch, tapioca starch, or flour to your mix. To fix a runny pie that’s already been baked, simply let it cool to see if it will congeal naturally. If not, you can stick it back in the oven for a bit longer.
How do you fix a runny pie after baking?
- 1 – Cornstarch. All it takes is a teaspoon of cornstarch for every cup of fruit that you have in your pie.
- 2 – Flour. This is one of the less-preferred options.
- 3 – Instant Pudding. Instant pudding is actually a favorite among veteran pie makers.
- 4 – Tapioca.
- 5 – Draining the Juices.
Why are Red Delicious apples so bad?
People love to hate Red Delicious apples. You can’t cook with them because they’ll fall apart, the skin requires extra chewing to break down, and the flesh is dotted with mealy craters. Biting into a Red Delicious apple is a guessing game. If you’re not careful, you’ll end up eating sad, brown pieces.
What is the best apple for making pies?
- Granny Smith Apples. For whatever reason, Granny Smith apples have long been considered the favorite for apple pies.
- Golden Delicious.
- Jonathan or Jonagold Apples.
- Northern Spy.
- What Do We Want from Our Apples?