- 1 How do I know when my sweet potato pie is done?
- 2 How long should I cook sweet potatoes in the oven?
- 3 Is it better to boil or bake sweet potatoes?
- 4 Should sweet potato pie be eaten warm or cold?
- 5 Do u put eggs in sweet potato pie?
- 6 Should I Prebake my pie crust?
- 7 Do you need to wrap sweet potatoes in foil before baking?
- 8 What is the healthiest way to cook sweet potatoes?
- 9 How long do I need to boil sweet potatoes?
- 10 Why is boiling not good for sweet potatoes?
- 11 Should I peel sweet potatoes before boiling?
- 12 Should you refrigerate sweet potato pie?
- 13 How do you get the strings out of sweet potatoes?
- 14 Why did my sweet potato pie crack?
- 15 How long does sweet potato pie filling last in the fridge?
- 16 Is sweet potato pie a black thing?
- 17 Are sweet potatoes and yams the same thing?
- 18 How do you make Patti Labelle sweet potato pies?
- 19 How do you keep a bottom pie crust from getting soggy?
- 20 Why does the bottom of my pie crust not cook?
How do I know when my sweet potato pie is done?
- When done, give the pie a nudge. The center of the pie should have some give; it should jiggle slightly in the center.
- The pie has an internal temperature of 175°F on an instant-read thermometer when done.
How long should I cook sweet potatoes in the oven?
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Use a fork to poke holes into the sweet potatoes, and set them on the baking sheet.
- Roast for 40 to 50 minutes, or until the skin has puffed up and you can easily pierce them with a fork.
Is it better to boil or bake sweet potatoes?
While boiling makes sweet potatoes tender, it doesn’t help much with their flavor. Most dishes that call for boiled sweet potatoes would be improved if you used roasted or baked sweet potatoes.
Should sweet potato pie be eaten warm or cold?
Do you eat sweet potato pie hot or cold? You can serve sweet potato pie at room temperature or chilled. It is up to you and your preferences. It tastes divine with a dollop of whipped cream on top or served a la mode.
Do u put eggs in sweet potato pie?
Traditional sweet potato pie has a custard filling, which means the filling relies on eggs (particularly the yolks) to bind the ingredients together. Make sure to allow the eggs to come to room temperature before incorporating them into the mixture.
Should I Prebake my pie crust?
Some recipes like quiches recommend partially cooked pie shells because the baking time wouldn’t be long enough to fully cook the dough otherwise. Pre-baking a crust can ensure that your pie or tart crust will be fully baked and browned, and not soggy.
Do you need to wrap sweet potatoes in foil before baking?
DO YOU HAVE TO WRAP POTATOES IN FOIL TO BAKE THEM? There are benefits to wrapping sweet potatoes in foil before baking them, but you don’t have to. The foil helps them stay warm once they come out of the oven, and helps keep the skin softer by trapping moisture in to steam them.
What is the healthiest way to cook sweet potatoes?
Boiling sweet potatoes retains more beta-carotene and makes the nutrient more absorbable than other cooking methods such as baking or frying. Up to 92% of the nutrient can be retained by limiting the cook time, such as boiling in a pot with a tightly covered lid for 20 minutes.
How long do I need to boil sweet potatoes?
Boil whole for 30-50 minutes. This largely depends on the size of the potato. Smaller ones will be done faster, larger potatoes may take a bit longer. Boil sweet potatoes that are cut into 1-inch cubes for 12-15 minutes.
Why is boiling not good for sweet potatoes?
Boiling sweet potatoes does leach out nutrients, but according to physician and author Dr. Michael Greger, of NutritionFacts.org, boiling sweet potatoes lowers their glycemic index, which means you get less insulin spike after eating them.
Should I peel sweet potatoes before boiling?
There is not much of a difference in boiling sweet potatoes with the skins on versus peeling them. But you will get a boost of fiber and potassium if you boil and eat the potatoes with the skin on. If you’re looking for a smoother mash, for example, peel the potatoes first before boiling.
Should you refrigerate sweet potato pie?
Sweet potato pies usually contain milk and eggs, so they are essentially baked custard pies and should be stored in the refrigerator. Rule of thumb: If a pie contains milk, cream and/or eggs, refrigerate it. You’ll also want to refrigerate pies containing evaporated or condensed milk products.
How do you get the strings out of sweet potatoes?
I boil the potatoes with the skin on. When removing the skin, start at the ends and carefully pull the end away and the strings will come off. Also, when mixing, rinse the beaters off several times to help remove the strings.
Why did my sweet potato pie crack?
Over Baking: Over baking a pie is the most common cause of cracking. Be sure to remove your pie from the oven once a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cooking Prematurely: It’s important that your oven is at 350°F when you put in your pie.
How long does sweet potato pie filling last in the fridge?
If you just want to make the pie filling in advance and do the crust on the day, you might be wondering how to store the filling. You can pour this into sealable containers or glass jars and place it in the fridge for three to four days.
Is sweet potato pie a black thing?
Using the same logic, Northern cooks preferred the easy-growing gourds for their pies. Using that sweet potato bounty, making the desserts in the Big House was often tasked to enslaved African American cooks, and it was through their expertise that sweet potato pie enters black culture.
Are sweet potatoes and yams the same thing?
That sweet, orange-colored root vegetable that you love so dearly is actually a sweetpotato. Yes, all so-called “yams” are in fact sweetpotatoes. Most people think that long, red-skinned sweetpotatoes are yams, but they really are just one of many varieties of sweetpotatoes.
How do you make Patti Labelle sweet potato pies?
- 2 1/2 pounds orange-fleshed sweet potatoes (yams), about 5 medium, scrubbed but unpeeled.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted.
- 1 cup granulated sugar.
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk (See Patti’s Pointers below)
- 2 large eggs.
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated or ground nutmeg.
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Coating the surface of the bottom crust will create a barrier to prevent sogginess. Adding a layer of corn syrup or a slightly beaten egg white before pouring in the filling will form a seal between the pie dough and the filling and will help make the crust crisp and flaky.
Maybe your filling was too liquidy. Maybe you were watching “Oh Brother Where Art Thou?” while baking. This is a tricky problem to fix, but hope is not lost. If it’s a fruit pie, try putting it back in the oven for a few minutes on the very bottom rack, thus putting the underbaked bottom closer to the heat source.