- 1 Can I freeze my homemade apple pie?
- 2 Should you freeze apple pie before or after baking?
- 3 What is the best way to freeze pies?
- 4 How do you freeze pies to bake later?
- 5 How do you defrost a frozen apple pie?
- 6 Does homemade apple pie need to be refrigerated?
- 7 How do you keep apple pie fresh?
- 8 How do you bake a frozen pre baked apple pie?
- 9 Can you freeze pie in glass dish?
- 10 Can you freeze pies that are already cooked?
- 11 Can you freeze pie slices?
- 12 How do you store pies after baking?
- 13 How do you use frozen apples?
- 14 Can you freeze a store bought pie?
- 15 Should I thaw apples before baking?
- 16 How long can a pie stay in the fridge?
- 17 What is the best frozen apple pie?
- 18 Can you leave a homemade apple pie out overnight?
- 19 How do you keep apple pie from getting soggy?
- 20 Why do McDonald’s apple pies expire?
Can I freeze my homemade apple pie?
Write today’s date, Baked or Unbaked Apple Pie and Use by date 6 months from now on a freezer quality storage bag. Place the pie into the bag, close the seal. Place the pie into the freezer on a flat surface, sitting level. Freeze for up to six months.
Should you freeze apple pie before or after baking?
Yes, you can freeze apple pie. It is best to freeze apple pie before baking, but you can freeze it after baking as well. Both baked and unbaked apple pie will last for up to 6 months in the freezer. If you freeze the apple pie filling by itself, it will remain fresh in the freezer for up to 12 months.
What is the best way to freeze pies?
Freeze the pie, uncovered, until firm, then wrap it in a double layer of plastic wrap followed by aluminum foil and return it to the freezer. For optimal freshness, freeze the pie for no longer than 2 months.
How do you freeze pies to bake later?
Place the pies on a tray and freeze until firm and then wrap them in aluminum foil or any type of airtight wrapping, label and freeze for up to 4 months.
How do you defrost a frozen apple pie?
- Let thaw in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- Remove plastic wrap from the pie.
- Bake on a sheet pan in a 350 degree oven until the filling is warm and bubbling. “Tent” with foil if the crust starts to get too brown.
- You can also thaw a frozen pie in a low oven.
Does homemade apple pie need to be refrigerated?
An Apple pie does not need to be refrigerated if it is whole and kept covered. BUT, once an apple pie is opened, cut or sliced it SHOULD be placed into the refrigerator for both safe keeping and to extend its shelf life.
How do you keep apple pie fresh?
Ideally, apple pie (or any fruit pie) should be stored in the refrigerator, either with a lid or covered tightly with plastic wrap. It will last up to 4 days in the refrigerator, but always be sure to check in on your leftovers to make sure they still look and smell good before diving in.
How do you bake a frozen pre baked apple pie?
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove pie from plastic bag.
- Place frozen unbaked apple pie on center rack of oven. Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees.
- Reduce heat to 375 degrees. Continue baking pie for 35 minutes longer. (
- Remove pie from oven. Cool on wire rack.
Can you freeze pie in glass dish?
While whole frozen fruit pies bake up perfectly, custard pies don’t fare well in the freezer, but you can still make and freeze the crust ahead of time. … And although the pie above is in a glass pie plate, I do not recommend putting a Pyrex or other glass pan straight from the freezer into the oven, as it can shatter.
Can you freeze pies that are already cooked?
While you can freeze a pie after its baked, the surest path to the flakiest crust and most vivid fruit flavors is to freeze your pie before baking. Here’s how to freeze fruit pies to bake later: … Place the pie in a freezer bag or wrap it in a double thickness of foil. Seal, label, and freeze up to four months.
Can you freeze pie slices?
Freeze the slices. Slice your pie or cake. If your slices are firm (like a cheesecake or a cookie pie) place each in a ziploc sandwich bag, seal, and freeze. If your slices are messier, like a cream pie, place the slices on a cookie sheet and freeze for 30-60 minutes, then place each in a bag and re-freeze.
How do you store pies after baking?
After baking, pie should be left at room temperature as the cooling process normally takes 2-4 hours. Within 4 hours, the pie should then be placed in the refrigerator. Cover loosely with plastic wrap until serving. Pie may be refrigerated for 2-3 days.
How do you use frozen apples?
Frozen whole and sliced apples can be used to make apple butter, applesauce, jam, jelly, pies, cakes, cobblers, baked apples, and other baked or cooked dishes. To use a frozen apple pie filling, simply drop the frozen filling into a pie crust, cover with dough (remember to ventilate the top crust), and bake.
Can you freeze a store bought pie?
Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and foil or place in a freezer bag. These pies can be frozen for up to two months.
Should I thaw apples before baking?
While you can thaw your apples before baking, it is not recommended to do so for pie. Thawed apples tend to get mushy, which is better for recipes that call for pureed apples, like applesauce cake or apple butter. For the best results, you should mix your filling and bake while your apples are still frozen.
How long can a pie stay in the fridge?
Fruit, pumpkin, pecan, custard and chiffon pies can be safely stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, according to the chart and FDA guidelines. But many pies ― especially fruit ― are best eaten within just a couple of days. “Apple, to me, after two days it’s just not gonna taste good,” Wilk said.
What is the best frozen apple pie?
The consensus was that Marie Callender’s pie tasted the most authentic and the best overall. That said, Mrs. Smith’s and Sara Lee both had something to offer. If you like your pies tart, go with Sara Lee.
Can you leave a homemade apple pie out overnight?
Apple pies and other homemade fruit pies can be safely stored at room temperature overnight. These pies can be kept unrefrigerated for up to two days before needing to be moved to a cooler temperature. When storing your pie, ensure that it’s covered in plastic wrap or a covered container.
How do you keep apple pie from getting soggy?
- Precook the filling.
- Reduce the juice.
- Experiment with different thickeners.
- Vent the top crust.
- Try a lattice or crumb top crust.
- Bake thoroughly — and then some.
- Let the pie cool completely — preferably overnight.
Why do McDonald’s apple pies expire?
Remember how we said that McDonald’s apple pies aren’t always fresh and are actually given new expiration dates when they’re not sold? Well, their menu items aren’t always fresh either. Apparently, they don’t always throw away old food. One employee said “Once food was cooked, it went into a warming bin.